26 November 2009

And then you threw an octopus at my window

And here is the current work in progress. What is it? I don't know. I drew the design out, in a fit of responsibility/optimism. I started stitching in the middle, and plan to work my way out. I have an idea how the colors will go, and maybe the textures.

I'm sure there is too much to this design, and I might cut back on my plan to fill it all in (as I am doing with the bit that's already been sewn on), but who knows. The odds are pretty good that I'll get fed up with this and abandon it before it is done, as well. But for now I am quite hopeful, and some day would like to think of some more rewarding application and design for this stuff. Until then, I will be happily picking away at this hoop.

By the way, when I say I've been fixated with this, I mean just that. I've done almost nothing else for the past 3 weeks. Obviously this is a time consuming activity, and I'm probably slower than a person with more experience would be. Or, maybe the problem is that I go too fast and end up with mistakes and so on. I've never been one to let a little thing like that slow me down.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to say your talent has come along quite nicely in the past three weeks. I envy the way you completely throw yourself into a new project, whatever that may be, and just move effortlessly forward. You are truly fearless. I like your sampler designs and I think your practice of alternate stitching is adventuresome. Keep trying, you will only become better at it. It took me years sometimes to get things (certain stitches) to look really good on a piece of material. I was trying to see how many pieces of thread you were using to see if that would make a difference, but it was difficult for me to determine. Are you using the embroidery thread with all 6 pieces or are you splitting it? Am I making sense to you? Normally I will split the skein of thread. It normally has 6 individual pieces, I will almost always split that in half so that I am only embroidering with only three pieces of the thread at one time. Make sense? Granted, this is also depending upon which stitches you are sewing. Just curious. I love your designs put into this new medium. :-)

Regan said...

I dig the mixed threads.

Liz said...

Cute!

Holly said...

Thanks Nic! I didn't know you were into embroidery. Got pics? I wanna see!

I have 6-strand floss, and I split it out. Most of these were done with 2 strands, doubled, so, 4. I find 2 strands a LOT easier, and 6 is really annoying. Probably because of the fabric I'm using--a light linen.

Holly said...

Liz, thanks! It'd be cuter with googley eyes. Hmm.... ;)

Regan, me too! I want to play with that more, and probably will. I guess that's why they sell floss with pre-mixed colors, but even I am not *that* lazy.

Anonymous said...

I haven't done anything worthwhile in a very long time. I used to do a lot of "hippie embroidery" mainly on jean jackets and jeans when I was a teenager. I've done anything like a print or sampler or pillowcases or anything ordinary for me to take pictures of. I'm not even sure I have any of the old jean jackets left. I mainly used to do it for friends and such.

You're splitting out your strands correctly, are you self mixing, or are you using the already mixed colored skeins? If you are self mixing, that's cool, and *kicks myself* I wish I had thought of that in my younger days! You can use a bit of beeswax to help with thread tangling; if that's an issue. You can usually find it in small applicators/holders in the sewing notions area of most stores. But, yes, more delicate or tightly woven material usually requires a finer gauge needle and less thread from the skein. (or that's how I've always adapted it) Wait until you find the metallic and the silky thread. :-)

Kate said...

I really don't know anything about embroidery, but I can't wait to see this done. The design is beautiful, the stitches look well done and I love the colors. :-)

224215152 said...

I totally dig the effect using 3D material lends to the design. Your paintings in this style always have a lot of depth and dimension and seeing it in thread just looks extra awesome.

Also, stop throwing octopods.