03 November 2007

Green Evening Stories

This morning I blundered into an archived graphic novel. I'd be hard pressed to say what it was about, in the traditional plot summary sense, but I can tell you that it was wonderfully illustrated by the author, in ink and watercolor. The author has apparently discontinued this series, because it's too time-consuming to produce. This is probably the crux of why writers and illustration teams work together to make graphic novels... anyway, I thought it was fantastic, because the scenes were highly evocative, familiar in an otherworldly way. Like visiting a dream you've had before. It took me maybe 10 minutes to skim through them (there is not much text, and I was in it for the illustrations anyway), but I was sort of startled to note that, had there been many, many more of them, I'd probably have read them all in one sitting anyway...

No comments: